Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Diversity

There is much talk in the media and in political speech about diversity. But what is diversity? To hear some talk, you would think that diversity was referring to minorities or "other" ethnic groups. Leaders of political parties and community leaders will tell you how much they embrace diversity. What are they really saying? "I welcome you into the real world (as long as you behave and remember your place)."

I think of diversity in a much broader sense. Diversity is what brings us (everyone) together. There is not "us" and "them". It is WE, us'uns. Diversity is what makes us all the same. Without diversity, the earth would be the most boring , ugly place. I am talking abot big, small, tall, short, skinny, fat, healthy, unhealthy, the allegedly "non-disabled".

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Hunt said...

It is refreshing to hear another perspective on what is "normal?" I have never concidered myself to be normal in a general sense. More specific to how I view the world(human race)around me, it has always been a first response from within me to view individuals as just that, individuals.

5:39 PM  
Blogger Angela Romero said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:37 PM  
Blogger Angela Romero said...

I was recently engaged with my 8th grade students on the subject of diversity within politics. I posed the question, “Why would the President want to appoint a diverse group of individuals to the Supreme Court Bench?” I was amazed to find that most of the students had no real clue as to what diversity meant. Many thought that diversity was only related to the color of one’s skin. I tried with great enthusiasm to explain that diversity is something that we all share. We, as individuals, are all diverse. So, that although we are different, we are all the same. For some reason my students could not comprehend that our differences are what make us the same. They were unable to get past the barriers of our differences, such as color, race, and sex.

7:40 PM  
Blogger SMD'E said...

I agree with your uncoded, broader perspective of the word diversity. To me, diversity represents a prism. The spectrum of rays seen in a prism are so varied that each viewing is a guaranteed thrill.

6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home