Monday, February 05, 2007

Sanctity of Life Sunday

A few weeks ago, on January 21, my church celebrated "Sanctity of Life Sunday" with a different twist. This time is was "Dignity of Life Sunday". Along with two other families, we were invited to share our stories. One of the couples talked of their work with the homeless and the other couple talked about the recent adopting of a baby that would have been aborted. I am going to share our story with you. My wife, Nora, starts off.

Nora’s Story
We were working in the nursery at our church when two little girls, very much in need of care, were brought in. Their mom and grandma had come for food. We fell in love with those little girls (Ashley’s older sisters), and along with their grandma and cousins, we adopted each other as family. Over the next few years, we became their benefactors and had lots of opportunities to practice what James calls true religion. Ashley lived mostly with her mom who was very transient and addicted to drugs and alcohol. She popped in and out of our lives for several years. It was a very difficult and dangerous situation for her. One day Ashley’s mom called and asked if I would come and get her. I did.
It was originally supposed to be for a short time, but Ashley was very ill. Her mom signed over guardianship to avoid prosecution for abuse and neglect. Within the first month of being with us, Ashley had open heart surgery to repair a defect caused by alcohol abuse during pregnancy. Otherwise, within six months her heart would have been damaged irreparably and she most likely would have died of a heart attack as a young teen. A subsequent neurological evaluation confirmed that Ashley has fetal alcohol syndrome, which affected her cognitive development as well as her health.
Ashley responded to an alter call when she was five and gave her heart to lord. She prayed for years to have new parents. We are so incredibly blessed that it was us. We have been Ashley’s parents for six years. It has been a wonderful experience to be part of her healing and growth. She has grown into a beautiful, healthy, compassionate person who knows that God has a plan for her life. She is the delight of our hearts and we are committed to making sure her future is safe, blessed and fruitful.

Arthur’s Story
When Ashley came to live with us, we all thought that a “good” home would fix any thing that may be wrong, academically and otherwise. It became apparent very quickly that her troubles were far deeper and would require a lifetime commitment. She could not perform academically and her speech was hardly intelligible. We went through the cycles of grief and denial that parents of disabled children go through.
Ultimately this brought me to the decision to go to graduate school to get a credential and master’s degree in special education at Cal State San Bernardino. There I became close to Jeff McNair and heard about the first disability conference at Trinity. We really liked what was happening here with individuals with disabilities and when the Lord impressed on us that our time was finished at the church we were attending, we decided to try Trinity. It was home.
As a family we feel very much a part of the Light and Power ministry and Trinity Church. The relationships we have built and time spent with individuals with developmental disabilities has enriched our lives. We have never enjoyed being a part of a group as we have Light and Power. Ashley has grown tremendously in her understanding of the Lord and the Word.
I have come to understand myself better, accepting my own disabilities with faith and hope. I have learned a great deal of humility and that I am no different or better than the developmentally disabled individuals we minister to. I am now working at Azusa Pacific University imparting to new special ed teachers a passion for their students and that their disabled students are entitled to the same respect and dignity that we all want. My doctoral studies at UCR are centered around individuals with developmental disabilities, and the dignity and respect that historically has been denied them.

Ashley’s Story
When I was little, I prayed every night that God would rescue me and bring me real parents that would love and take care of me. Now I have a mom and a dad that understand my disability and way of thinking, and wonderful brothers that love me. Before, all that I knew was all the time I was in danger and didn’t know what was ahead. Now I have a future and good life in front of me.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Arthur you and your wife have many treasures stored up in heaven. I pray one day that I have a concrete calling that fills my heart working for the Lord daily. Will give me much purpose for wanting to continue living in such a corrupt world.

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home