Saturday, March 06, 2010

Oregon Update

Last summer we moved to Bend, Oregon. I expected to find university work and work toward a ministry among the disabled at my new church.

Things didn't work out like I had expected. Living on a farm in central Oregon was a dream come true. It became difficult to push hard finding work after my initial applications to all the Oregon universities. After two months waiting for a response and hearing nothing, I realized that God had something different for me.

First I applied to be a volunteer with the Bend  Metro Park and Rec Special Recreation Program. I was finally cleared for this. I started with a Saturday program once or twice a month and later included Wednesday and Friday evening activities. 

God reminded me of what he did through Henri Neuwen and what he wrote in Adam. After several weeks I realized that God wanted me to be humble and become a caregiver for the disabled. I thought for a while, "look how humble I am. I am willing to be a care provider." I was hired as a personal caregiver for a 16 year old boy with severe autism and aggression.

I have also applied to the Interfaith Volunteer Caregivers (affiliated with our local county government) to be a friend, companion,  caregiver to an adult with disabilities. Of course this takes weeks because of the criminal background checks and other paperwork (see the 1/8/10 posting of http://disabledchristianity.blogspot.com/).

Instead of starting a "ministry" to the disabled, God wanted me to pour myself out to fellowship with disabled and give my life to them. I now spend about 25 hours a week with individuals with identified disabilities. I used to spend about 25 hours a week talking about, teaching others how to help, and in general an intellectual approach to the disabled. Now my life and time is spent with and among those God has called me to serve.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home